Sunday, April 6, 2008

When Words Aren't Enough

I have been listened to my pod programs this week and I have been struck by the importance of words.

In one case three quantum physicists were discussing the word "god" and how it meant very different things to different people.

In another, philosophers were discussing the intricacies of translating work from Greek and Chinese and the periodic occurrence of a void in the English language to describe something the other language has a word for.

Add to that the use of "big words" by people. I know a number of friends that would have struggled with some of the interviews I listened to this week. And the quantum conversation had me hanging on by my fingernails desperately trying to figure out what some of the things they were talking about meant. The skill of using "little words" is just as important as that of using the big ones.

At work we need to do a "feelings check" each morning and there is a guide sheet in case you get stuck. Many of the young people don't know "exasperated" or "ambivalent" or some of the other words displayed.

I also consider those who find themselves in an area where they don't speak the language, or have a disability (like deafness), or are in some other way limited.

What I am getting to is that if you don't have words to express an idea, or a feeling, or a need, then what do you do? Likewise, if you don't understand what is being communicated to you.

I remember when I was at school most of the class were struggling to understand the maths the teacher was trying to impart to us but a fear of looking "dumb" stopped them asking questions. I (who got it all quite reasonably) was nominated as question asker because I didn't care if I looked stupid or not. So I asked our teacher to explain things another way, and if need be another way after that. If all else failed I would help those who still didn't understand myself.

I can add another example that when I was little, I was sure "prevent" meant 'to make something happen' so when I saw big billboards asking the public to "prevent bushfires" it was incredibly confusing.

And I have my Scrabble book that is full of words that I have never heard of and wouldn't a clue what they mean.

We all have moments when we struggle, but what about those who constantly struggle?

Despite the importance of body language, tone and the like, our words still convey much of our meaning. If we don't understand words (big or little), or we don't know an adequate amount of words to express what needs to be said, then what?

3 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I think we just muddle through..It reminds me of industries that speak in jargon...bloody lawyers for one... I feel like yelling at them...If thats what you mean just say it (but at $200 an hour I'm not game) Doctors too... then there are acronyms..our industry is a cracker for them... Sometimes people try to use big words to baffle or look important..often it works the opposite...

Indigo-Daisy said...

Yes life without a language is not easy, reminds me of Helen Keller being both blind and deaf.

There are times though were people really have a way of communicating what words can't say by simply a look or a touch. I remember the day after 9/11 I walked into a store and just looked at the cashier without words, and it was like we had this whole conversation with just a look and a smile.

Or once I experienced a panic attack and a friend put her hand on my back and it was like I experienced almost instant healing.

We are brilliant beings and have learned to resort to many things to communicate our thoughts. However it does require patience and a willingness to try to understand, rather than only hearing what you want to hear.

Unknown said...

You give me hope indigo :-) I have really been thinking about this, there might even be a thesis-length response inside my head and it still doesn't have an answer ...