Thursday, April 3, 2008

I am A Square

I was looking for a club to join on my Stardoll site so I do what is logical to me, I check out the clubs my friends belong to.

One club was aimed at girls who are unsure of their sexuality either lesbian or bi and I have to admit it shocked me. My initial reaction was "do their parents know about this" and started to think about getting on my soapbox when I realized that (generally), of course their parents don't know about it.

Being gay or bi certainly doesn't fuss me at all, nor does being confused at any age, but I was disconcerted (there's that word again) about the explicit nature of some of the postings - and the overall nature of others. Some girls are describing sexual experiences (mutual masturbation or oral sex) from the age of 7. Admittedly these are with girls of similar ages and they not being prey to paedophiles. There was also the blatant requests for explicit sex chat - although most of these were between teens. I am not going to repeat any of them here because I like to think of this blog as 'family friendly'.

There were some regular conversations about how to masturbate, or how to come out which were better but they are still missing 'information' rather than behind the school-shed chat.

If these girls had've been saying the same things about guys my opinions wouldn't change. I am not an advocate of sexual repression but when did these girls stop being girls and start acting like grown women? What happened to childhood. Okay I know I come across a lot of this through work and whatever, but I guess that absolute blatent-ness and explicit nature of it all has shocked me.

So now I have to offer the 'information' side of things, or just stay out of it. Sigh ...


Artist not credited on source site

8 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Mmmm with a now 13yr old girl I'll come back to this one...

pita-woman said...

The activities of girls (& boys too) have certainly changed a lot in the past 25 years. That's not to say that they weren't having sex & whatnot when I was in Jr./Sr. High... the handful of teen parents I attended with proved they were, but I don't think it was as blatant as it is now. Back then, it was almost scandalous, much like inter-racial dating, but now, anything is fair game for doing, talking about, and is almost flaunted. It saddens me to think that it's my generation that raised these youngsters.

Anonymous said...

It's best to stay out of it. I once attempted to 'give information' at a site my son invited me to and had early teens running around screaming there was a paedophile in their midst because of my 'old' age. Really! I would have been better off lying about my age. Didn't go back, you can imagine!

Unknown said...

I have been trying very hard to not be the paedophile-type-person. In fact I was called "mature and responsible" just this morning. But it is so very tricky. I think you are right Anony, it would be best to stay right away ... sigh ...

Unknown said...

I have somewhat solved the problem - I have started my own Ask Auntie Pearl club so if people want to ask advice, I can source and provide and "informed" answer ...

Unknown said...

great solution pearl, well done xo

Unknown said...

It was the only real thing I could come up with :-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that! Yes, luckily I was known as responsible to the runners of site, but there were silly young ones all over the place just wanting to cause trouble. It was merely because of what age my profile showed. Funny they have changed the site now so others can't lie about their age which is good :)