Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Grandpa

There are a million stories about my Grandpa but two stand out right at the moment.

The first is driving the farm often with me on the back of the ute, checking the sheep, the crop and fence lines and whatever else Grandpa checked. The thrill of the wind in my face was only ever outdone by the feeling of his hand in mine while we walked the fence lines - from memory it was always lambing time and we would be checking the flock :-)

The second memory is of Grandpa, in my teenage years, doing the obligatory drive around town every time we visited. We would be provided with updates on who had bought who's house, what the Council was doing, the minutiae of town life. The building of the Big Ram was something he was especially proud of. If nothing else, Grandpa loved his town - he breathed its essence. This was one of the things that, as a teen, I rolled my eyes at but now I wistfully miss all of the history he passed on during these tours.

Head or Tails, whatever, I win!

10 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

What beautiful memories of your grandfather.

Anonymous said...

he sounds like a great guy! what wonderful memories ... :)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I love the second story...we dreaded my grandfather picking us up at the train station as it took twice as long to get home as he pointed out everything...Oh how i wish I had listened...so much oral history lost, as like you i was rolling my eyes and groaning.... loved this memory Goddess

Hootin Anni said...

This is one to treasure in your memory to be sure. It's funny how when we are kids, we just don't realize that down the line after many years have passed that those 'odd and funny' things are soon to be fond memories that we can look back on and wish we were there again.

Great H o T

Vickie said...

You are a great story-teller. Enjoyed those word images. And a ute is a....truck? Ignorance from the other side of the world.....

Unknown said...

What wonderful memories to have of your grandfather, I have very few memories of both of mine.
Great HorT post, mine is up @ The Cafe if you'd like to pop by.

pita-woman said...

Loved it! Just let me say "Ditto" to what everyone else said.

Unknown said...

beautiful memories.

You can find my memorie here:

http://www.laaneworld.com/2008/04/heads-or-tails-memory.html

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Why thank you one and all - it was lovely to go for that little walk down memory lane :-)

Unknown said...

I should have explained Vicki - sorry to all non-Australia readers - a ute (short for 'utility') is pickup type vehicle that varies from the functional to the fancy.

The Boyup Brook ute muster is held each year and if you go here http://boyuputemuster.mysouthwest.com.au/Photo%20Gallery?gallery_name=Muster%202006
you can get a good look at the range available (just ignore the big trucks that are just pretending lol)