Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Brother Love

I spoke to my brother twice today (very lucky me) and as one does, my thoughts wandered after the conversation to what an incredible person he actually is. I could sing his praises from the roof top but as he is my brother, and I am biased, I won't do that. But I will share what I think we are best at - apart from talking about this, that and everything else - and that is cooking.

It hasn't happened too often which made it all the more of a treat to cook with the guy! Both us as cook the same way in that we kinda know where we are headed, and we kinda know what we are going to use and how we are going to get there, but the rest is done by feel.

Brother G allowed me to live with him for a couple of years and periodically we would have dinner parties for guests, or just "nibbles" (and a drinkie or two) for ourselves. And then when we moved our separate ways, there has been a time or two since when we got to repeat the performance - from memory the last time was about 4 years ago when we cooked Indian for Brother G, his delightful Miss N and me. Such a joy and a delight to put it all together - and to spend time with them both :-)

I keep thinking there is no real reason to go back to WA but to cook with Brother G would definitely be one of them :-) ... maybe he and Miss N could come and visit here ... save me the travel lol

4 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I smiled at this post, what beautiful memories & bond you have with your brother ...Mmm do you think this cooking bug is genetic...I only ask cause if it is my mother sure missed the gene...lol

pita-woman said...

Great post.
Wish my sister & I had moments like that, but alas, we don't.

Unknown said...

If it helps any Pita, my sister and I don't share this either lol. I can cook like this with my brother, and to a degree my friend Brian. The disadvantage is that you never can repeat the recipe - there was too much making it up as you go along ... sigh!

Mind you, if most anyone wants to cook with me it is a joy. Last Wednesday during cooking group (when I was redundant lol) I watched 6 or 7 people in the kitchen gracefully weaving in and out, helping here, commenting there. It was a magical dance and all I had to do was enjoy :-)

Unknown said...

Not sure Abbey - I know biological mom was a good cook (no complaints at all) but I don't think she was a foodie as such. I haven't seen her for so many years that she too could now be a raving foodie too.

Mind you Dad wasn't a foodie while I was growing up wither - although he has certainly seen the light now.

So I am not sure if it is genetic or whether it is a reflection of our changing times - a greater acceptance of multiculturalism (and food from different countries - and the easy availability of all of the necessary ingredients), a change from the English "meat and three vege" meals to perhaps a more Asian based diet - stir frys, fresh food.

Either way I am in heaven :-)