Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bird Song

Ongoing readers of Musings will know that every now and then I post a description of a bird and ask for help to identify it. I also share my joy at the chorus of bird song that is the soundtrack to my days at home.

I never realized this in WA - except for the magpie which takes me back to my grandparents (now my cousins' farm) of wheat freshly harvested, of hot summer days just dawning. Was there less birds in my previous homes or did I just take them for granted?

I post this because I am having a bit of a conversation with Vickie from Vickie Henderson Art on the subject and I wanted to share something she said:

Becoming familiar with bird songs has made my world so much richer. Its the music that makes me search to find them and want to know more about their lives, their habits and their personalities. And this knowledge creates an intimacy that enriches my life, makes them part of my life and deepens my desire to help our earth.

Amen to that!

5 comments:

Vickie said...

What a wonderful photo! and a beautiful bird. I look forward to more of your photography.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Girl I think you have found a twin on the other side of the world...my mother and husband were bird watchers, but I could never get into it...required the disipline of attention and sitting still...

Whispering Walls said...

The Australian magpie is far more mellifluous than its British counterpart

Vickie said...

I searched for this bird on the web and listened to its song. What haunting vocals.

Unknown said...

Oh I so agree WW and Vicki - they actually call it 'carolling' instead of 'singing' which I heartily agree with :-)