Friday, April 25, 2008

Fish and Chips

The best fish and chips (F&Cs) in the world ... well my world ... are served at the takeout window of Joe's Fish Shack on the marina in Fremantle, West Australia. And unfortunately once you have tasted the perfect form of any food, you wistfully spend your life trying to recreate the moment.

Now I have had some very dodgy F&Cs since moving to the east coast - not off as such, but limp and grease soaked and, well unappetizing no matter how desperate you may find it all.

Chips should be golden and crispy that actually have a little snap when you break them in half. The insides should have a little wisp of steam that comes out and then the potato should be very light and fluffy. The crispy crust shouldn't go for more than about 1 mm. Except for the very longest examples, a chip shouldn't sag when you hold it horizontally.

The batter on the fish should be golden and crisp - again it should never be soggy. The batter should never be too think. The fish itself should be perfectly cooked but not greasy in any way.

Well, I haven't found something as good as Joe's but I treated myself to a F&C lunch today (at the almost conclusion of my tourist travels) from Urunga and it was worth mention - and I am even considering a repeat visit. I got to choose my actual piece of fish (pre-batter) had a choice out battered, crumbed or grilled. The chips weren't homemade but were very good nonetheless. The fishcake was crispy without being overcooked.

Okay, by the time I had bought it and driven to the river to eat I wasn't actually hungry but I did have a little bit of each because it looked great. Oh and yes, I tore the paper and picked from the top (there was only one of me so there was no need to unroll it all and create the tablecloth and plates :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Was a good F&C shop in Sth Grafton till it changed hands 18 mths ago - but the best was Hendo's at Glen Innes -he sold out about 2 yrs ago after 60 odd years of family business - but Im told that with 2 hrs notice, he can do it at home now :-)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Mmmmm I had to do with home brand, fat saturated limp fish..lol...who nother story...

Unknown said...

We all have a F&C story - including the limp ones lol