Wednesday, April 23, 2008

@#$%$#%@ Smoke Alarms

I love smoke alarms, I really do but not at 4.12 in the morning after I have finished a run of night shifts. When it went off I thought a rude thought about my neighbors- I mean what were they doing at this hour of the morning, and then I wondered if I should go and look, and then I considered that I might have to evacuate my place as well (a lot can pass through your mind in two or three seconds).

Then, I realized (with growing dismay) it was mine. But then it stopped. Sigh - I dreamt it all, let's go back to sleep. Sure enough 15 minutes later it went off again.

I stood on top of a chair but couldn't reach it. I used a wooden spoon but still couldn't get the top off. Finally I got my big hiking stick and whacked the darn thing off the ceiling. Then I took out the battery (yes I think they need replacing because nothing was turned there was no smoke).

Now I have to figure out how to put the thing back up again. Sigh ... early-morning dramas at my house :-/

5 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Flippin duffa..don't you go balancing on chairs etc to fix it...ph the Israeli..he will be only to glad to do it...x

Unknown said...

reminds me, should check mine...and i agree with abbey, no climbing, i broke my ankle that way when i was younger, believe me you don't want that, no climbing miss pearl xo

Unknown said...

Normally I would but this was 4 am and it needed to be done then - not a more social hour when I would get around to calling him. Mind you I can ask him to put it back up again :-)

And just to prove I don't make a habit of climbing on chairs - my bathroom light blew in late October and I still haven't got around to asking someone to put another one in. (Yes their is a light above the mirror so I don't need to ablute in the dark lol)

Unknown said...

And all of this despite the high profile advertising by the fire brigades (with an offer to assist if needed)to replace he batteries when daylight saving ended ?? :-)
(cant talk tho - I bought new batteries, but they are still in the packet. lol

Unknown said...

I didn't know Robert - I don't really watch tv, and definitely avoid commercial radio. WIll give them a ring and see if the offer is still valid :-) Thanks for the ehads up!