Saturday, May 31, 2008

Nostaligic Satuday

"They" started to teach us to dance in early primary school with the May Pole. This was followed by the Barn Dance, Pride of Erin, the Waltz ... the list goes on.

I must admit my interest was casual at best - I mean standing on the hot bitumen quadrangle in 100 degree heat (so yes it was a bit warm out there) while I was trying desperately not to catch any boy germs wasn't an ideal way to inspire me. Oh yes, and repeat this for at least 5 years running.

High school wasn't a whole lot better - there was all the malarcky about who was dancing with who, or who wanted to be dancing with someone - all so much more important than the actual dance.

But something changed and I started taking ballroom dance lessons in Bunbury on a Thursday evening when my parents joined the same class. And then I got IT. To dance, to trip the light fantastic, to swing and swirl and ... yes I got it.

Then I started going to the odd dance out at Uduc hall (one of the little settlements out of Harvey). These were held once a month and generally catered for the over 70 crowd but there was the occasional younger set that turned up - those around 50 lol.

Anyway to be twirled around the floor on the arm of a senior gentleman who had been dancing for way more years than I had ever been alive was a real pleasure. To feel a gentle but guiding hand in the small of your back leading you, but never forcing you, was something I enjoyed immensely.

Then it all stopped again. Did I get busy, or life just took over, or, well not sure really. But I do remember with immense fondness dancing the dances of the ages.

I don't even know if they have "dances" anymore but I dance at home, and to my own rhythm and it is all good :-)

3 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Smile i remember the Pride of Erin...out our school the dances were called 'Frolics' god knows where they got that name from..

We should go ballroom dancing one night...tis on a Wednesday...my problem is the men are all to short for me in heels...:(

Ta for the post, it bought me back many memories of childhood dances

Susan Demeter said...

I dance at home too, and am not very good at it, but the kids don't seem to mind too much ;)

I played along too this week. If you have a moment please do stop by:

My Life In The Urban Zoo

Cheers!

pita-woman said...

Ah, the maypole dance... that brings back some memories. Let's not forget the Mexican Hat-dance, and then there was another, I forget the name, but it involved two poles lying on the ground, with two people holding them, clacking them together and then the dancer jumping in and out of the poles without getting tripping or getting caught between the closed poles. Anybody know what dance I'm remembering???