Saturday, May 3, 2008

Treehouse Magic

At some point when I was little Dad built me (well... us) a tree house in one of the apricot trees (we had a little orchard of apricots - and a much bigger orchard of oranges but that is another story). In reality it was a flat platform but, when it wasn't a ship or a fort, it looked, to me, like the one in the picture.

The hours spent up there were incredible. It started out being a place of adventure when I was a pirate, or the Swiss Family Robinson or a knight or whatever other games I could dream up. As I got older I took the study books and the radio up there and worked, or dreamed the dreamy teenage dreams that dreamy teenagers dream.

Not only did the lack of walls provide me with the opportunity to dream bigger, but it also allowed access to the branches that supported the treehouse. So you could languidly lie out looking at the blossom, or, if you had been playing for a while, crawl out to pick sun-warm apricots to refresh the body and spirit.

My idea of heaven :-)

3 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Great post MG... so love warm apricots... Love your tree house & visions of lying in branches..Mine was a little house near dads shed..that had a porch and one room with windows...I thought it a palace... :)

Indigo-Daisy said...

Oh how beautiful! I dreamed of having a place like this when I was little. Hearing the wind rustle through the leaves in the trees has always been of great comfort to me. Tis like the breath of the divine telling me that I am not alone. You are so lucky to have had such a treasure.

Robert said...

Amazing what kids will think is the best thing since sliced bread, mine are using some crates under and in a tree