Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nostaligic Saturday

Cooking has always been a part of me.

I remember the first time I saw tortellini. Auntie Julie had made them for some sort of family function at Grandmas - I was about 7 or 8 from memory so this was late 70's and such food was very exotic. I subtly asked someone what they were and I was told "arseholes" - actually that can't be right because my family didn't use that word but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. All in all, I didn't eat arseholes that day - and it took me a few years to figure out what they really were (doh! - never missed out on tortellini since lol).

Grandma was the biscuit and slice queen. Again my memory says there was always 8 - 15 different things to choose from - but we were only EVER allowed 2 so you needed to make your choice very carefully - did you go for a favorite (custard creams with passionfruit icing or lemon marshmallow slice) or did you go for something different. I know I made a mistake one day in taking the chocolate slice with pink icing and coconut - only to discover it was date slice - yuk yuk spit spit ... sigh ... no refund on my two choices :-) There is a life lesson in there somewhere.

And there is my cousin Stuart and I who could (after much practice) make a cheesecake (Auntie Wendy's recipe) from scratch in 8 minutes. We used to do this prior to watching Murder One when I was staying with them a while back.

Any wonder I ended up a foodie?

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Wonderful story about the experiences that help shape us into who we are. I always loved to watch my grandmother in the kitchen. She made the most wonderful biscuits and talked and laughed with flour up to her elbows. She was a wonderfully alive person and loved to entertain. But the other side to her was her giving. During the depression, since they lived on a farm with produce, dairy products, eggs, she would open her home to anyone who needed a meal. I loved that story.

Robert said...

Funny thing about decisions you make through life - they tend to affect your lifes future (whether it is for a few minutes, hours, or for the rest of it) but once you have made that decision, it is then part of your life.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Love your slice story.... Mmmm we had a vanilla slice made on SAO's at the time we thought they were wonderful...couldnt eat them now though

pita-woman said...

So laughed at that "date" story. I guess that's why I tend to order the same one or two things, depending on the restaurant, because I'm afraid I won't like it if I try something different, and then I'll be stuck paying for a bad dinner.

Anonymous said...

Gee you have a good memeory Pearl. I can't even remember taking tortellini to Grandmas but obviously I did!
Glad Dad is over there.
A Julie

Anonymous said...

Can see that I didn't do spell check!!!

Robert said...

Can remember eating these (on many occassions) but for the life of me , I cant remember what they were called, but tortellinis definately wasnt it - lol
(and there were never any left on the plate)