Sunday, May 4, 2008

Junior Netball

I played netball as a child but I don't remember learning to play. I know we went to training once a week but that was to hone skills more than to actually learn them.

I know I played airplanes one game - I was GK and my partner was obviously GS but our team always had the ball so it never came down our end and we had to amuse ourselves somehow lol! And when I played basketball I did try and shoot at the opponents goal (but that is another story completely). And I was competent but never going to be a sports star at either game but that is digressing.

I mention this because yesterday I saw Nairbe's girls play beginner netball. The girls had been asking me to come and watch ever since they started playing (3 games ago) but yesterday it worked out and I was there.

It was delightful to watch 14 young girls play a game where most of them had absolutely no idea. Many passes went straight to the opposition. There was the inevitable flinch and the shutting of eyes by some when the ball came their way. There were the persistent reminders as to what direction they were playing in.

It was a blast for us watching and the girls had incredible fun. The umpiring was very generous - and was periodically accompanied by the game stopping and a specific rule being explained. Both coaches and the occasional mom were allowed to run with their teams - gently encouraging the holding up of arms, shuffling girls back to their spots ... well all' round coaching actually. The crowd cheered loudly no matter who did something good, or when any goal was scored - none of the nasty-parent-on-the-sideline at this game.

Dare I saw it was just plain fun - with a little learning thrown in :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of my uncles comments while watching my sons play soccer (Under 8 and under 6 at the time)- a ball surrounded by a lot of kids :-). He was not being derogratory,he used to coach junior league, just stating the obvious, and enjoying the efforts of the kids on the field.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ah netball flashbacks..grrr... I found with Josef baseball was brilliant with the emphasis on good sportsmanship and fun.. Leauge (football) with my nephew was the opposite, the parents were feral....put me off even watching ...Sounds like you had a brilliant day