Friday, March 21, 2008

When It's Not Fun Anymore

I belong to a website - sort of a fun Facebook for teenagers (mainly girls). One of my younger friends asked me to play and why ever not (although I am VERY careful about interactions with new people). Really enjoying my time there and finally getting it all sorted out. To avoid 'misinterpretation' I have a very limited group of friends, mostly referred by my friend and it's working and I am having a ball.

Until now...

I just saw a public post from someone who says she has self-mutilated. I have tracked her down (these posts just flash and then they are gone) and sent her a message that I have tried to make sound supportive but non-judgemental, nor interfering. Haven't heard back yet.

I know that I have come across self-harm at work. I know that Random Thoughts still receives feedback from her post on the subject. I know the site is moderated really well so hopefully someone else has also seen this message. I just wish I could do something more - are her wounds clean? Does she have someone to talk to - her message said she just wanted to feel? Is she okay (well obviously she isn't but you know what I mean)?

Our children are so very, very valuable. I wish this pain (physical, emotional, psychological) could be avoided and all of them have a bountiful and joyous beginning to life. Not realistic but I guess I am babbling because I am waiting for a reply that may or may not come.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just realized the irony - this girl vented her angst online and so did I :-/

Jason said...

Yeah...I dunno if I'd worry about this too much. People like to say/do very provocative things on the Internet for attention.

Could be legit...could be fake.

Unknown said...

You are so right Jason - could be either way and I don't know - and may never know.

Just seen too many times when it has been real and the person who has done the cutting is genuinely reaching out - sometimes before they cut, most times after.

It's a tough world out there for lots of people and I would prefer to offer a hand of support (where I can) and be wrong than to do nothing. No wonder I work in social services!!!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

You did all you can chick...the first suicidal commenter i had freaked me a little and yes their age was a factor...the internet is also instant...not like the old days of writing to cleo or cosmo..like Jason says thereis an element of provactiveness...

There is also the idea (to me anyway) of accept what you cant change...this young person will travel their own path...regardless of what you or i can advise in this limmitted forum

pita-woman said...

That's a tough one. I agree, it could be just talk, to get attention. Of course, even if this person isn't actually harming herself & is just trying to get attention, I'd say she's still needing some kind of help.
But it's so very kind and compassionate of you to have reached out, regardless.

Unknown said...

Well she hasn't come back to me so I will just leave this one to the universe :-)