Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Backseat Fumblings

Does anyone else remember the illicit moment of teen age love that were pinched at the lookout, lovers point or the drive-in?

I know that parents of this day and age let partners sleep over and that's not my point. I don't have kids and I don't think the line is clearly right or wrong so I am staying away from it all.

But there was something so exciting about the stolen kiss, the quick grope .. or even more. There was risk, there was excitement, there was 'naughtiness'.

How does that affect our perspectives, or expectations, of adult relationships? I live by myself. If I wanted to I could date someone and then bring them home for rumpy-pumpy who would care? Where is the fun in that? No wonder people want affairs - you get back all of the excitement of the teenage fumblings...

Where am I going with this? No idea. Just thought that now I am all grown up and responsible those stolen moments will never be again.

I miss that already.

7 comments:

pita-woman said...

Oh YES!, do I remember!!! God I miss those moments!!!
Whether they were in the backseat, frontseat, bed of the truck, back of the van, the couch, his room if parents weren't around, hood of the car...
parked in a cow pasture, at the end of a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood under construction, out front of his parents house, at the drive-in movies, in a tent on a camping trip, on some rocks overlooking a bluff... where ever an opportunity presented itself.
But by that same token, there is something safe and comforting about being with the same person all the time. No worry of disease (assuming your partner's been faithful), knowing that the love is genuine, knowing that he'll still be there when you wake in the morning.

pita-woman said...

ps,
it amazes me that parents let their childrens' "dates" spend the night. Mine would never have allowed it, not even once I had turned 19, was out of school & working full-time would they have allowed it. Times have definitely changed!

Tex's Missus said...

I just loved this post MG and in fact, a friend and I were just talking about the drive in yesterday - and how exciting it was to go there with your boyfriend and "get it on" ! And PWs comments brought a smile to my face too, recalling those quickies stolen in haste, out in the open, where as you quite rightly describe MG, the element of risk and "naughtiness" brought with it a heightened sense of pleasure. Maybe we all need to re-kindle this kind of adolescent behaviour with current and future partners in an effort to keep the magic alive :)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ah you two married loves...go rekindle those moments...the car could always 'break-down' mmmmmm

I used to love the agonising minutes (or longer..lol) of anticipating if he was actually going to put his arm over your shoulder...and trying to squirm a bit without being noticeable so it would be easier...laugh

Unknown said...

Ah the memories :-) I can relate to all of you lol.

Long live the magic!

Jason said...

I remember the time me and my first girlfriend got busted by the cops in my 1991 Chevy Corsica. We were "parked" behind a local elementary school at like 11:00 at night.

We were so scared that he let us go with our "fright as our punishment."

I remember when the biggest problem I had was "where are we going to make out at?" I don't/do miss those days...mostly "don't" though.

Anonymous said...

Drivein = Swimming pool

where all the boys went to learn how to breaststroke _ :-)

RG