Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ten Cedar Trees

The town of Bellingen had it's Plant Sale today. What an amazing array of options before me but I resisted temptation and headed to where I needed to go.

First off I bought 10 Red Cedar trees (or alternate revegetation options). I have no land to grow trees so while I bought them, the tree seller was going to find a good home for them. He initially looked at me a bit oddly when I said I wanted to buy the trees but could he give them to someone else but after a moment or two there was the sage nod, the rub of the chin and "yes, I know of a few people who will be coming by later who would like them". And so it was done.

That makes me almost, almost, almost carbon neutral. And, if I do this every six months when the Plant Sale is on, I will be flowing in carbon credits (metaphorically of course). I am just wondering what tweak I can make now to go carbon neutral immediately but I think that is a bit of a stretch - I have the big problem of driving to work that I can't get around. Not to worry, every step counts :-)

I also bought a heaps of herbs and salad greens. I will post that photo tomorrow :-)

5 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Laugh, now did I say the word 'quirky' the other day...love the cedar tree story...

darling I admire your committment to your ethics..but will you are doing the right thing...what about factories, mines etc..they are still chugging away...

are the few who are giving this a real go, enough to tip the scales...or have we gone past the point of no return...

Unknown said...

In many cases we are way past the point of no return - not only from the perspective of devestated environments (like the continual destruction of the Amazon, or the insidious spread of salt in Australia) but also from a social perspective - we intrinsically like our "stuff", we like to have food available all year round rather than seasonally, we don't 'think' about where our stuff comes from. By little bit will have no effct whatsoever on that.

What my bit does do is enable me to take responsibility for *my* choices, to use my consumer dollar as a mini-weapon in the fight for change.

As Maya says "you do the best you can with what you've got, when you know betterm you do better". That is all I am trying to do. If others join in, fabulous, if they don't, well I need to respect that chocie too. And if I can make their road a little easier but cutting out some of the "work" to make small changes, then even better again :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Good for you, mg! I do admire you.

Unknown said...

wow, what a moving thing to do...i love that idea xo you inspire me dear xo

Unknown said...

thanks welshcakes and kyles, just trying to do my bit :-)