Wednesday, March 5, 2008

NaNoWri Mo

Cruising Jason's blog I came across this peculiar phrase again and tired of not having a clue, Wiki'd it. Now all is clear. This is a challenge, held in November each year, to write a 50,000 word novel, or 50,000 words towards a novel.

Now having written two (unpublished - my choice, not through lack of opportunity) books and desperately wanting to do it all again (although not for the same result - a bit more serious this time) this is a challenge I can't ignore. Okay so I can't start until November, and the idea of putting myself on the line (and deadline) sends shivers up my spine being that I have no plot, no characters and no idea but who am I to ignore a challenge!

And I know what NaNoWriMo means :-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i know this is a dumb question...but why wait until november...if writing brings you such pleasure and the muse strikes, i hope you dont send her away...xo

Unknown said...

The problem is that the muse hasn't struck... but I haven't really given her opportunity and the answer may lie within that comment :-/

Jason said...

It was BRUTAL. Last November was my first attempt...and it nearly killed me (okay not literally) but I made it to the 50,000 words.

I'm lazy. Having a set amount of words per day that I had to write forced me to get in there and work! Sometimes the muse is there...sometimes not. The challenge is to keep going when he/she/it isn't there.

I encourage everyone who enjoys writing to give it a shot.

Jason said...

Oh yeah, thanks for linking my blog...I'll be sure to do the same for you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jason :-) I have decided to follow up Miss K's prompting and just start now - I have a little Google widget on my home page with weird ideas for writers with a block so I will start with one a day - come up with my 2000 of words and wait for something more serious t come along (like an idea :-). If nothing else, it will be good practice. I start tomorrow but with mny night shifts, reserve the right to average the 2000 words a day over a week ha ha ha