Wednesday, March 5, 2008

No More Chemicals ... Sigh

I wandered into the personal products section of the supermarket, wasn't really looking for anything, just wandering. Then I came to the hair dyes.... sigh.

No I haven't colored my hair for a few months and it is about time but I have already made the decision I am going to reduce my chemical usage. And lets face it, these are *definitely* chemicals - the ammonia always gets to me.

So it is orange hair for a bit longer. Yes I will obviously looking for a natural option - henna is an easy start but do I want to be a henna-head when I am having issues about not being brown in the first place? No, well at least not yet.

My preliminary research indicates a couple of very natural options but you have to rinse the hair 15 times in the various teas at least once a week as an ongoing process. Now as green as I am going to be, I just can't see that happening.

So now I am just sitting ... and sighing ... oh the sacrifices I am making, price I am paying (imagine me saying this with the back of my hand to my forehead in a suitably melodramatic pose)!!!! :-)

5 comments:

Jason said...

I used to dye my hair (all kids nowadays go through a phase like that), but now...now I see that it's "cooler" to just be yourself.

I don't pretend to understand the workings of the female mind...but I think cutting out the chemicals, and just being you is good.

Unknown said...

Oh I have dyed my hair since I was ... about 17 and that was a lifetime ago ... but yes, I will take your advice and consider myself moving into a 'cool' phase of life - might even find a grey hair or two ha ha ha.

Welcome to Musings Jason :-)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

See previous post...I have no idea what the natural colour of my hair is...

Unknown said...

I was with you Miss A until I realised it was orange .... shiver... scary ...

Indigo-Daisy said...

Mine is kind of a sandy brown blond, I dyed it once in high school and it turned pitch black. Since then I never had the guts to try it again.

I too have been going green and have dabbled at making my own soaps and creams. I have learned to love essential oils and now prefer them over fragrance oils.

Don't have any advice on a natural hair dye though. I have read that the brunette ones use to have a pretty nasty chemical in it though.