Wednesday, March 12, 2008

New Recipe

Been playing around with cooking lately - got a couple of new dishes coming along but not yet perfected. Then I realized that I haven't posted a recipe since forever so I decided to post the one that I did last night, and how I will change it for next time (that's what happens when you invent and play). I got 2 big or 3 regular serves from this dish.

Chicken with Coconut and Kaffir Lime

1 chicken breast, sliced very finely (about 2 mm thick) (easier to do if it is just a little frozen)
1 white onion, cut into half moons
1 can lite coconut milk
Water
Handful of green beans, topped and tailed and cut into 2" pieces
1 double kaffir lime leaf, shredded (less than 1 mm wide)
1 habanero chilli, very very finely diced
1 packet (450 g) fresh rice noodles

Quickly stir fry chicken and onion. Once it starts to color, add the coconut milk and an additional half can of water and allow to come to the boil. Add the beans, lime and chilli. Cook for a couple of minutes and add noddles. Reduce heat to a strong simmer and continue to cook until the noodles are done (about another 2 minutes). Serve in bowls. It should be more soupy than thick.

  • The only thing I would change would be to add maybe some red capsicum cut into matchsticks and added at the last minute. And some Asian green roughly chopped. No big deal, but the dish is very white otherwise and this would add a splash of color.
  • The fat content is a bit high but could be reduced by using lite evap milk with coconut essence added.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmm...sounds delicious xo

Unknown said...

Oh it was, but not diet food :-) Back to the salad it is for me :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That sounds fabulous. I like the idea of adding the red capsicum.