Monday, March 24, 2008

Bulk Stuff

I have been sprouting my intention to be more green over the past few months. In many ways I feel I doing a good job of it, although there is always more I can do.

I have been waiting to use up my existing shampoo so I can swap to a more natural, home made product. Ditto for laundry powder. I have moved over to my home made deodorant and I use essential oils as a detangler. In amongst all of this (as well as being in transition to a more complete Food Miles philosophy) I realize I buy stuff.

As an example, I have three bottles of shampoo that I am working my way through. I have another two boxes of laundry powder to work through once I finish the one that is open. And today I have just found another 2 deodorant roll-ons.

It is similar with store foods like lentils and beans and don't even get me started on spices.

I don't know if I am waiting for a flood or something else that will cut me off for months at a time or what - I didn't even realize that I 'stocked up' like I obviously do.

So, as a status report, I am still working my way through my existing supplies ... it may take a while... sigh ....

5 comments:

Tex's Missus said...

Yikes MG, I do that. I have more pots of moisturiser and body lotions stashed away in my bathroom cabinet than I will every have days (or skin !) to use them on. I stock up on all manner of stuff too - sometimes 'cos it's on special or just because it looks or smells pretty ! Then I do stuff that's even dumber than that....I keep stuff (pefumes, lotions, potions, bath oils, scented candles) "for good" I mean WTF ??? Why not use it NOW and get the enjoyment out of it....'cos we all know, "for good" just might never happen. Good post for me MG - I'm off to fill the bath with my expensive bath bombs and then slink into my silk nightie 'cos tonight - right now - is "for good" :)

Unknown said...

I must admit I stopped doing the "for good" thing when I moved over here - either use it or don't by it is my new standard. Having said that I am still using up some of those things I bought before the move (over 2 years now) that came with me.

Love the idea of the bath bombs and the silk nightie - you certainly deserve it - and if you can't be "good" to yourself, then what's the point?

Me, I am in track pants, a t-shirt and heading for work :-)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I also stopped the 'for good' thing, I remember my mother and gran having a set of china 'for good'...not once did they get used.. Mums expensive collection of french parfums she got from overseas...sat there till they went off

I use all mine, and this year I'm treating myself, though my budget is now tighter than I envisaged I still manage the odd little perk...

pita-woman said...

Trying this again... stupid computer!
There's no such thing as "for good" stuff at our house. When we got married, I didn't register for any of that junk as I didn't want it sitting around, and the few things we got anyway, have done just that, sat on a shelf, not being used.
As for buying bulk, I buy bulk as often as possible. Then there are the occasions I get into coupon-mode and get a lot of stuff free, or nearly so. At one point, I had so much surplus, I gave a bunch of it away in gift baskets or to charity.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You're an inspiration, mg. Btw, if Kyles comes over, I can't get her blog to load for comments tonight. I tried, Kyles!