Sunday, March 9, 2008

Garden Update

At the plant sale yesterday I discovered the delights of the local (to Bellingen) organic herb supplier. For a start they had the fabulous idea of selling the plants as a per plug instead of by the punnet. This meant that I was able to buy seven different sorts of lettuce, boy choy, choy sum, two different sorts of spinach, silverbeet, beetroot, parsley and dill without having to back up the trailer (and yes everything was wrapped in wet newspapaer and went into my green bag that I took with me).

So now they are all planted and I will have to call the garden full - I already have two or three sorts of chillies, rosemary, basil, eggplants, tomatoes, thyme, oregano and a 7'+ lemongrass. Well it will be full when they all grow and flourish (the chillies just aren't doing as well as I wanted but I am talking to them a bit more so that might make the difference). Actually I have admit I have taken over the base of the kaffir lime and native lime pots to find room for everything (have I mentioned before that I have a native lime lol).

Oh, I also bought a small citronella grass which appears to be similar to lemongrass but is the source of citronella oil. Now I won't be making my own oil but I do have a big recycled pot that needs a body in it so I grabbed it ($2.50). I am also considering that if I keep it in the pot (about the same size as the one in the photo) then it might mean that the citronella grass might not get as big as the lemongrass :-)

All of this for under $25 - does life get any better?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! Watch those lettuces for snails, maybe they don't like citronella likes mosquitoes ;)

Unknown said...

Snails and little caterpillars - already found a commercial organic problem that can help there (I hope) :-)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

snails, caterpillas, blend garlic, oil and little detergent...add to water and put in spray bottle...be lots of receipes on the net

Unknown said...

wow, this is better than burkes backyard...giggles...you girls are a wealth of info. Don't talk to me about seedlings, we planted a whole heap of them on saturday and the dog got into them on sunday and they are flat now, although i have propped them up to try and rescue them...ggrrrr....

Unknown said...

One advantage of being dogless :-) Although I am not caterpillar-less so I best get onto that tomorrow - early lol