Sunday, March 30, 2008

Johnny Appleseed

Does anyone else remember Johnny Appleseed. I first read his story in one of my most beloved Little Golden Books when I was the proverbial knee high to a grasshopper. The story generally goes that this guy called Johnny Appleseed traveled across pioneer America spreading word of God and planting apples whenever he stopped so that those that were coming after him (imagine covered wagons) would have apples to eat for the entire crossing.

I found out this week he was a real person! Long live the ABC :-)

Anyway, Wiki has a great article which doesn't quite tally with my childhood memories (for example, John Chapman apparently traveled around Ohio, Indiana and Illinois rather than the whole country) - but trust Wiki. I am sure they are a more credible source that Little Golden Books :-)

4 comments:

Jason said...

I remember the Disney cartoon and the basic story of "Johnny Appleseed."

Like most kids stories, if you actually think about it...it's really messed up (think about it, Appleseed was an ecologist's worst nightmare...spreading seeds in places where they shouldn't have been).

Oh well.

Unknown said...

Hi MG - yes I do remember the "Johnny Appleseed story from my (prehistoric ) youth.- re Jasons comment on ecology, it is an ever evolving thing - without the "Johnny Appleseeds in our past - there would be no Granny Smiths to make the apple pie with.

RG

pita-woman said...

I remember the story from elementary school.
I'm thinking that a candy-apple-pie sounds pretty good right now.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I remember that very well and thank you for bringing it back to me! Auguri dalla Sicilia xx