Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tortilla Stack

I have wanted to make one of these forever and being the latest Super Food Ideas has one on the cover, I have been prompted into action. It was easier than I anticipated.

I cooked up some burrito-style mince (diced onion, mince, burrito seasoning) then added some corn and kidney beans. I wanted the mixture to be 'dry' rather than sloppy so I didn't put in a can of tomatoes but if I had more time to wait for it to reduce, then I would have. Anyway, put a tortilla in the bottom of a spring-form pan, add a little meat and spread to form a layer, sprinkle over some shredded cheese and repeat until you reach the top or all of your meat is used up. Bake at 180 C until the cheese is golden (I think I left mine in for about 30 minutes). I then let it cool a bit and sliced it up - and served with funky lettuce and sliced tomato. If I hadn't put corn in the actual stack, I think I would have served a corn cob on the side with the salad.

It keeps it shape really well so I think it would be great for to take to work for lunch or even picnics, as well as a quick and very easy dinner. Eat hot or cold.

BTW - this is just what I 'created' as I went along - I am sure there are a million possible variations.

No comments: