Thursday, January 3, 2008

Food Miles Confession

I got some of my favorite gnocchi earlier this week and cooked it up yesterday. After I finished eating it I thought to check where it was made. Yes my favorite gnocchi is from Italy.

I just cannot justify the food miles in getting such a very basic product to my table so I commit here and now to make my own unless I find a product with *very* minimal food miles that is made in New South Wales from NSW potatoes. Yes I have considered the loophole that the potential company might source their potatoes from (say) Western Australia.

Okay it is only a small sacrifice but I am getting serious about my food miles. I can't make an informed choice all of the time but I certainly will when I can :-)

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Gees woman just whip up a few potatoes and an egg...do you realise how stale gnocci would be from Italy...ahhh the mind boggles....like oranges from the usa

Reminds me my brother wouldnt eat home brand tomatoes because of Chenobyl...go figure...my kids are stuffed then cause thats all we eat

You got me thinking though...cept for fruit and veg I hardly check that...

Unknown said...

I hear you Miss A - and I did find some Sebagos last year so started making my own gnocchi - but they are the only ones I have come across. What sort of potatoes do you use?