Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Secret... (shhhh Secret Squirrel)!

On Monday night I decided that I should have something to eat (refer to comments on room service) so I thought there had to be a fish and chips shop nearby (no comments about health food at this point thank you).

So having got through Sydney without a road map - gotta love Australia and the 'follow the big green sign' policy and never having been in the neighborhood before - actually not even knowing whether I am north, south, east or west of the city centre - I decided to go for a drive and find some food.

Shortly after leaving the hotel I decide a feed of Chinese (or Singapore or Malaysian or Thai) food would be a better choice, or a good curry. And I was on a highway-type road so I figured it wouldn't be hard.

I drove and I drove and I drove. No luck. So I turned off onto some of the side roads and I found my nirvana - there was Lebanese bakeries, supermarkets from India, Bangladesh, Korea and what seems like every other country on the planet. The only sort of meat available seemed like Hal'al. No matter where I seemed to turn I was surrounded by a food heaven in every possible shape form and size. Every culture had a nook or cranny - or so it seemed.

Now I do need to let you know that this was after 7 so none of them were open (which was fortunate because I couldn't take out a mortgage on the spot and go shopping - which you just gotta know I desperately wanted to) so I considered whether I could pretend to be sick and go shopping in the morning but that is unethical so ... yes I left it all behind. Yes all of it - I didn't even get a smell ... And I confess I didn't even give a passing thought to food miles....

And I couldn't find anywhere that was selling food - lots of supermarkets no restaurants so I ended up with (oooh yuk) KFC .... oh the contrast just ripped at my soul but I spent 40 minutes driving and it was that, McDonald's or Dominos.

I think I should have gone for the other option ... starvation :-)

And although I have no idea where I was, I know how to get there again ... yes my name is Mountaingirl and I am a Foodie :-)

6 comments:

Tex's Missus said...

So happy to read of your Sydney trip MG; I was thinking of you when it was raining and hope you arrived here and got home safely. You should have let me know, I could have told you the best places to eat in that area after 7pm - KFC was such a poor substitute for what was on offer in the nooks and crannies around that area (but you have to know where to look !) Maybe next time :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I too enjoyed reading about your trip :)

Anonymous said...

LOL - KFC always leaves me feeling ill......... oooooooooooo mcdonalds fries are the best. I always wonder why bad food always tastes soooooooo good :-)

Unknown said...

welcome home hunny...glad you had a great time!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Glad ur home..I must say I dont mind a little KFC...

at the motels prices I'm thinking anything else would taste good...

Unknown said...

Why thank you one and all. What a welcome back :-)

Yes TM, next time I shall ask advice, KFC was a very poor substitute. the good thing is that I know there will be another time because that treasure trove of ingredients cannot stay sitting there forever without me giving into temptation :-)