Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Paneer

Today is cooking group day - and the theme is Indian food - but I have a bit of an upset stomach (nothing major) so I am going to do it tomorrow instead.

BUT...

In anticipation that it would be today I have already prepared a couple of bits. I have made my own paneer (cheese) for example. Okay so it doesn't look like much at the moment but I wanted to get a 'before' cooking photo in .... especially as I am not actually cooking today :-)

The recipe is dead-easy and something I can really recommend to all. I made a triple-batch so please don't worry that mine is bigger than yours ha ha ha

Paneer

1 litre milk
1 1/2 t vinegar

Boil the milk. Add vinegar. When the milk curdles (yes you will know when it happens cos it looks like cottage cheese and the 'milk' is watery) remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Pour it onto some cheese cloth (I used a clean teatowel). Squeeze as much water out as you can - but be careful because it is HOT. Then put something very heavy on it for 2 - 3 hours to squeeze out the rest. Shape the curds into a rectangle (or any other shape you want - I used a pie dish). refrigerate and use as required - although keep in mind it should be used in a few days.

Stay tuned for recipes as to how to feature your paneer :-)

No comments: