Thursday, January 3, 2008

Chicken Girl

Despite my casual approach to writing here on the blog I do actually know how to write 'proper'. I have been called on many times over the years to edit other's work.

Most of these have been uni assignments and the like so it has been easy to edit for style not content - that is make sure it reads well, the punctuation is correct and there are no spelling mistakes, as opposed to whether the actual content of the assignment is accurate.

Now I have been asked to edit (as in *really* edit) a friend of a friend's creative work.

I don't like it.

The storyline doesn't work, there are holes everywhere and the flow is wrong. I am not saying that I am an expert on these things and yes it can be fixed through a couple more re-writes but I just don't know how to tell her that her 'masterpiece' that she is so proud of just doesn't work, nor can I not say anything.

In moments like this I usually try and phrase things positively, or at least with a positive spin but I am struggling here.

When I wrote my first book I handed it around for comments and feedback and got some excellent responses. Almost all positive, some including ways to improve things. The exception was my mother with tight lips just said "it has spelling mistakes" (because I had used American spelling instead of the Australian version). That devastated me and, remembering that pain, I really don't want to pass that on to the writer I am reviewing at the moment.

Okay I know I need to do this - and I can do this - it will be a good opportunity for personal learning but I guess I just wanted to be easier somehow :-/

1 comment:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Mmmm a quandary, a most awkward prediciment. Honesty v's straight up fibbing...

I would contemplate, how important is it?...to her? (mmm proud of masterpeice)...to you...

She asked you to 'edit' it, not have a general read...Stay away from the subject matter of work, stick to structure...

Baby if you dont dissilusion her, what about the next readers, or the editors she submits to..mmm

Tell her she made a decent start...but its going to need work..(dont say alot) quote other authors who have had to rewrite many times (not jane eyre)

Worse comes to worse give her a few wines first...or suggest painting...

na just joking rather you than me love