Monday, January 21, 2008

Dr Martin Luther King Day


"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'”


"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.”


"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”


"Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.”


"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.”


"The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"”


"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”


"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a dream that one day we will all carry out MLK's dream!!!!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Simply stunning..I would love to know who his writer was or if he wrote his own speech...

love the last paragraph...x

Unknown said...

Martin Luther King is my all time hero!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Wonderful.