Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Hotel

I stayed at the Airport Sydney International Inn near the airport.

It was very clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable (which is all you want really).

The room was really very small, and the bathroom was tiny but, when I thought about it, there was sufficient room to move around and, located where it was, I assume that most people would just stay for a night on their way to or from the airport - as opposed to actually vacationing there - so it was functional and quite adequate.

The staff were mostly friendly and efficient. There was no problem with parking. The shuttle bus was a few minutes late which was stressing out some of the other passengers who were nervously going overseas but it as literally a few minutes late and everyone had made sufficient time for their journey so it wasn't a particular issue.

There are only two negative things I can comment on.

The first is the room service menu. What made me read over twice, three times and then burst out laughing was a chicken breast, tomato sauce and chips for $24.50, and a roast beef roll for $18.50 (and it didn't indicate that it was freshly cooked so I automatically suspected it was one of those commercial jobs but that might just be my cynical mind). On top of that you can add $8 for a salad and $5 for room delivery! I assumed from those prices that no one would regularly get room service so the seafood basket ($18.50) was probably one of those frozen mixes you just deep fry for a couple of minutes and so on down the menu.

The other was that I was staying in the non-smoking building and whilst my room was clear, the corridors, elevator and foyer absolutely reeked of cigarettes. The building is very clearly marked as non-smoking and lists potential fines. When I mentioned this at check-out the woman just shrugged her shoulders ambivalently and just said something like ' yeah people smoke in there'. So while they advertise it as non-smoking, there is obviously no enforcement or even care about the policy so if you are a genuine non-smoker, you might want to stay somewhere else.

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Good god MG, how do they justify those prices...I'd feel embarrassed to charge them...If I'm paying $24.50 for a meal, it better be fresh, special and lots of it...

Funny things go on in the city...It's better that your home love...x

Unknown said...

And the worst thing was they didn't try and jazz it up with fancy phrasings like "an organic grain fed chicken breast, lightly seared on a char grill served with our own special organic tomato relish and golden homemade fries" it was just a "chicken breast with tomato sauce and chips". Oh it gave me a good laugh - and that was for free :-)