Monday, January 7, 2008

Michael Jordan and the Passing of Time


When I was in my other prime, I was a basketball babe. I would like to think I was a legendary player but I was ... well somewhat competent player. But I was a great trainer, manager, statician, fund-raiser, administrator and a passable junior coach.

In these days Michael Jordan was the undeniable king of the hoop, the court and most everything else. Yes we all chanted (in our heads anyway) "I like Mike" we bought Haines and we drank milk. Slam dunking was the ultimate be all and end all (except for the vertically challenged like myself). We wore Air Jordan's, red and black most anything and displayed the number 23 wherever we could. Okay so there maybe some dreams mixed in with reality but you get the general idea.

So why do I mention this here and now? Simply because I am on night shift and after about 3 o'clock my cognitive function diminishes considerably and my mind beings to wander. Last night it wandered to the Mike days (don't ask me why) and the contemplation of what young (ish) people do in days like these when they don't have Michael Jordan. And through the cloud of pleasant dreams, toe-curling and trying to stay awake I wondered aloud (much to my embarrassment but everyone was asleep so I think it was okay) if David Beckham is the Jordan of today.

My initial reaction was 'surely not - he is a twit' but is that opinion only because I am not world-game-aholic? And if that is true, was Mike not really *Mike* but just a bloke with a good marketing campaign? Hmmmm ... I think I desperately need some sleep ....

No comments: