Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tie Dying

Miss A and were talking about a tie-dying project for work project a while ago which inspired me to do my doona cover - you see I have wanted a new one for ages but can't find one that is really 'me'. That was in November and ... well I just never got around to it.

Today was the day and while the result it 'ok, it isn't as defined as I was hoping. The really dark bits (which is what I wanted more of) came about when I accidentally poured the dye directly onto the fabric instead of dissolving it.

The more I look at it the better I like my 'new' doona cover but I think I will have another go in the next few weeks - ignoring the instructions this time and doing my own things.

Will keep you posted :-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never been "brave" ebough to dye or tie dye something!! Now you have an "original" quilt cover :)

Unknown said...

i've done it a few times and always made a big mess, but I have a few white cheesecloth shirts that I'd like to do, let maybe we need to plan a tiedying day :) Loving the doona cover btw mg, sorry I haven't been commenting much, have been to tired to get on here much, promise to check back more regularly :) much love xo

Unknown said...

Yes I do Ali. I found the whole thing really easy - and becuase I did it in a bucket in the laundry trough I avoided mess (worked for me Miss K). I did go back and read the paperwork after I posted this and it said that poly/cotton blends dyed lighter than plain cotton blends so that explains my outcome. Still going in again.

And Miss K, we need a girls night soon and why not dye while we chat :-)

Unknown said...

as long as its not at my place...lol... my laundry doubles as tony's shed and trust me, the ambiance ain't so nice there..lol

Anonymous said...

What fun! I like using extra thick elastic bands instead of string and doing a second dip by adding more with a different colour :)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I'd love to do a blue doona cover...I thought if I could convince MG...to whip around two white sheets...mmmm

I havnt done it since school, but I love it...they sell doona covers dyed at the markets for a small fortune ....gees we could do it here but i have Chels underfoot...

Hey I'm on nights, your welcome to come and dye your hearts out...x