Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's Just Not Cricket

I know there is money involved in professional sport, and I know the players aren't necessarily in it for the enjoyment of the game and the money the are paid is significant (and a degree of ruthlessness becomes 'normal') but ...

The Harbhajan Singh case seriously makes me reassess my love of Test cricket. I haven't heard the judge's comments because there is nothing he can say that will convince me of the "rightness" of his decision.

Singh has accepted he said something offensive and don't try and tell me he didn't know that calling someone who is colored (I hate that term) a "m******" is an abomination (worse than the 'n' word).

But money and position and blackmail have cleared him.

I am way beyond disgust.

It just isn't cricket and I am not sure my love of the game will ever recover sufficiently that I can watch it again.

2 comments:

Tex's Missus said...

Oh MG, I share your pain over this travesty. I too have loved cricket from a young age and I love nothing better than watching a test match between two great cricketing nations. I thought cricket was the last bastion of the honourable sporting event, a gentleman's game if you will pardon that antiquated expression; that money has been allowed to rule over doing and saying the 'right thing' is a disgrace. But sadly, this whole mess has been a bloody debacle from the outset.

My 15year old son plays this wonderful game; indeed he plays for both the local U16 and the senior teams, such is his ability and his passion. But, how can I explain to him what has gone on here when I can't even begin to understand it myself.

I too am beyond disgust MG and as I contemplate Gilly's impending retirement (who is one of cricketing's all time greatest gentlemen, not to mention greatest cricketer), I can imagine him saying to himself, "if it's come to this, then it is truly time for me to walk..."

Mr Bagel said...

Good on you, I couldn't agree more. The decisions that have been made based on commercial considerations and fear of being sued may just signal the last blow.
Its a travesty of decency that the Indian cricket team blackmailed the ICC and the Australian Cricket Board in getting them to pressure the players. Its a travesty of justice for both Andrew Symonds and for the umpire.

Its just not cricket..anymore.