Thursday, October 18, 2007

$21 Challenge Part 3

I skipped lunch yesterday, had an upset stomach. Dinner was potato salad, tomato and an avocado half (all from the fridge).

Breakfast today was bread (that I made yesterday) and marmalade and then the substitutions began :-)

I made a Moroccan Stew for lunch (I was meant to make it on Monday morning but wasn't up to it then).

2 T olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped (out of onion so I used up some spring onions which I added with the pumpkin)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 t ground ginger (out of ground ginger and needed to use up some fresh so I used 2 t of grated fresh ginger)
1 t ground tumeric
2 t ground cumin (out of cumin so left it out)
2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t dried chili flakes
400 g can diced chickpeas, rinsed and drained
400 g can diced tomatoes
400 g pumpkin, cut into 1" cubes (I used 250 g so I have some left over for something else)
2 large zucchini (I had three so I chucked them all in)
2 carrots, cut into 2 cm pieces (no carrots so I left them out)
1 C instant couscous
25 g butter
4 T chopped mint (from the garden)

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, until translucent but not brown. Add garlic, ginger, tumeric, cumin and chilli flakes and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and 1 C water. Bring to the boil then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the other vegetables and cook for another 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste.

Place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Cover with 1 C boiling water. Cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and add butter and mint. Season to taste and serve with stew.

I will have enough for 3 generous meals out of this.

So I haven't used any of my $21 yet but I only have a sweet potato, a little pumpkin and some tomatoes left in the fruit and veg department so I will certainly be hitting it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Now listen chick a dee...i got on to a blog last night..a welsh woman living in siscley...hold on I'll find the addy

http://sicilyscene.blogspot.com/..

seems right up ur alley, especially costing things out..but have a look....

can u buy moroccan spices, I'd like to have a go..oh wait there it looks like the spices i use for Indian..ok my love..will let u no how it goes...cause as u no I only have chick peas and tomatoes left..lol..mmm will have to get cous cous...(i just love that name) its up there with 'fucnky lettece"..