Sunday, June 29, 2008

Magic Moments

I was taking to America this week - had a chat with Miss Weasley on Monday and then the kiddlies later Friday.

This has got nothing to do with favorites or anything - it is the celebration of the moment. J2 (pictured on the left) asked me join Stardoll so we could stay in contact when she moved back home. I was sceptical initially (me - fashion, fame - you have got to be kidding) but it is so fabulous for us. We happily chat on about people we have met there, things we have done, how to behave in certain situations, personal boundaries - it goes on forever.

I sometimes feel very aware that being away from the kids I love (one family lives close by as does Abbey's briliant daughter, but the other two familes are a long way away) and not having kids of my own, it is easy to lose contact, easy to lose an involvement in their lives. It has nothing to do with being loved less, it is just practical. After all maintaining friendships between adults is hard enough when life takes things in different directions but I think that kids can be even more so. After all I only met them because I am friends with their parents - and they don't have to involve me, it is a chocie for them.

So while I had a great catchup with all three of the kiddlies (and they are really too old to be called that anymore) it was coming back and the continued chat with J2 that made my heart skip a happy beat this week.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

Ahh, I almost got teary-eyed reading that. You are so absolutely right when you talk about how hard it is for adults to maintain friendships, especially when one has moved away. I fear the day if/when my best friend moves away, not only because I wonder what will happen to our friendship, but because I so dearly love her daughter (I'm Auntie "Pita" to her), and can't fathom not being there to watch her grow up. I'm more emotionally bonded to that child than I am my own nephews!

Unknown said...

Friendships brings us laughter - and tears.

And, in news just to hand, J3 has joined up on Stardoll this week so hopefully it will also add to our relationship in the way it has for J2 and me.