Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cooking Lives Again

After last weeks disaster, cooking group is back on track ... well almost anyway - still have two lovelies who don't know how to follow a recipe.

Anyway, made the recipes very, very simple this week - I used items from my mental bag of recipes- to- teach- 6- year- olds. I don't mean that in a negative way at all - I just rate recipes based on developmental skills (ability to read, follow directions, complexity of skills involved and the like) as well as my assumed experience of the age group. Last week I used the recipes- to- teach- 10- year- olds and some of my lovelies generally struggled with the reading of the recipes.

This week I selected the theme of "Mighty Mince" and is was a long way from being boring :-)

The menu was:
Savoury Mince with Soft Polenta
San Choy Bau
Tortilla Stacks
Pastitsio
Steam Dim Sum with Lemon Soy Sauce
Vege-Loaf (as opposed to meatloaf ... and yes the chickpeas were crushed - or should that read 'minced' lol)
and a big Garden Salad

So next week I just need to come up with even easier recipes for two lovelies, but I think we can motor on a bit from here. Gotta love Wednesdays :-)

4 comments:

Robert said...

Hi MG -Comment on cooking a meal etc as relates to your lovelies - I found that the biggest thing I had to learn was the actual timing of each part of the meal, so that it all was finished at (nearly) the same time - this took a few weeks to get used to and might be something that you dont even have to think about, it is second nature to you, but not so to people who are trying to learn.

Unknown said...

You are very right Robert and something I well and truly take into account for our lunches. The lovelies cook one dish each and if it needs salads or vegetables or decorations or other bits then that falls to me - unrealistic (and unfair) to expect up to 8 people of various skill levels to co-ordinate to that level!

I tailor recipes that take 40 - 50 minutes from start to finish. So obviously things that take longer to prepare (say lots of chopping) have to have a very short cooking time, or if there is a longer cooking time then prep has to be very very short. I have a 10 minute buffer built into all of that - and am on hand if someone is getting a bit behind.

I also select recipes based on the individual skill levels of each lovelie - say if they done a cooking group before, dishes they say they are competent in, knife proficiency as well as familiarity with techniques (say stir-frying or making a bechamel sauce).

I must admit it takes a good 5 hours to prepare and research a group taking everything into account but I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

Indigo-Daisy said...

I have a feeling I might be one of your problem children if attending your class. I am not the best cook. I cook what I know, but to go outside that, I have a hard time.

pita-woman said...

Ooh, part of me doesn't understand how others can't follow a recipe or, for that matter, driving directions that are very explicit... but alas, there are some that simply can not. But I've finally come to the realization that following directions (either driving or cooking) is somewhat of a KNACK. Much like decorating a room, which I simply can NOT do, even if provided with all the items to accomplish it.
Cooking is a knack. And I'm ever so thankful I have it!!