Friday, June 27, 2008

How Low Can They Go

As part of their pre-Olympics propaganda campaign ... ahem, I mean celebrations, McDonalds is releasing a new world-inspired product each fortnight. Thanks to Yahoo I am a bit up on this. We currently have the McAmerica breakfast bagel and something before that - was that an Aussie something. Anyway, it is all very shallow and very McDonalds but I didn't think that even they would sink so low as to go for the McAfrica Burger (available until 11 July)!

Now I can't tell you what is in it, or what secret sauce they are going to proclaim represents Africa but then again I don't care.
Am I being politically correct and/or over-sensitive or is this new sandwich very poor taste (no pun intended). With part of the continent facing starvation and food shortages (for a variety of reasons), political turmoil leading to the torture and deaths of hundreds (if not thousands) each day, and an AIDS epidemic that we in the west can only imagine and people being too poor to afford treatment, isn't a McAfrica burger just so very ... wrong?
I know it is 'all about the Olympics' but fast food representing a continent like Africa - it just doesn't work!
Okay rant is over

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im assuming thats a rhetorical question ... cause baby there is no depth they wont go...

great post and opinion

Unknown said...

Lol - in a sad way :-)

Robert said...

But then again, Maccas, kfc and a few of their ilk are at the bottom of the food chain anyway ( and we wont even mention "truth in advertising etc- know for sure the only things that arent prepackaged in maccas is the rolls, tomatoes, and eggs ( I unloaded tons of the s%&t here as part of my job a few years ago - lol)