Friday, November 30, 2007

The Montezuma Experience

When we were on holidays, we took it in turns to select our eateries so on Friday night I selected Montezuma's - a Mexican style restaurant. As a bonus we had a coupon for a discount too.

The photos of the meals on the outside of the restaurant were stunning. The atmosphere was bright. The decorations were simple but fun. The place was very clean. On a back wall was a tv with a loop of photos taken from celebrations at the restaurant - lots of good food and smiling faces. Our wait staff was excellent.

I don't eat out very often - usually I scan menus and then go home and cook my favorite ideas - but when I do I try to order something that I wouldn't normally have at home. With this in mind I made my selections.

We ordered a variety of dips and stuff for starters - they were absolutely delicious. Maybe not entirely authentic but most Mexican food we eat is really an Australian version of Tex-Mex anyway so no real complaints. The chilli was fabulous - still can't identify one specific flavor but it made the dish.

And then came the main course. Miss Weasley selected and received the most awesome combination - an excellent selection on her part.

Mine ... well I can't remember exactly what it was called but it had "Mole" in the title which was a good start and described itself as chicken with an Aztec sauce and 50 odd herbs and spices (or something like that). The story was something about a nun creating the dish a few hundred years ago to honor a Bishop or Cardinal or someone equally important visited they pueblo .

I can tell you now the nun *really* didn't like the Bishop. And I mean *really* didn't like the Bishop. This was the absolute worst tasting meal I have ever had! And even when I scraped the sauce off the chicken it was dry. Did I send it back, no I smiled and thanked the wait staff very much - I mean the dish (apart from being dry) was EXACTLY as described on the menu. And was I being a doormat in not insisting on something different - no it was just that this ended up being the most hilarious time I have had with Miss Weasley in ages - and well worth any price.

Apparently I was pulling some faces as I kept nibbling, trying desperately to find a redeeming feature of the dish and Miss Weasley kept having fits of laughter which gave me equally strong fits of laughter. And by laughter, you know the one you have when you are desperately trying to suppress the laughter :-) All in all it just disintegrated into one of those times when both of us are having giggling fits, while trying to keep a straight face when staff or other patrons looked our way.

We had the best night - and I would genuinely recommend it to others - just avoid that one dish. Oh, and our coupon wasn't valid - it was for another Montezumas a couple of towns away :-)

No comments: