Monday, November 19, 2007

Australia Zoo

Thursday came and we went to Australia Zoo.

Now to say I am not a Steve Irwin fan is an understatement. I thought it was funny when he died (not that he died but the way he died) and it took me 24 hours to realize I was one of the few people in the world to see the irony and that the outpouring of 'affection' was actually genuine :-/

Yes he did good things but he was INCREDIBLY irritating - if you want to check out some naturalists that don't play with the animals or make me cringe check out Vince Serventy or David Attenborough or Australian of the Year 1979 Harry Butler or Jane Goodall or a hundred other equally 'important' people ... but I don't want to go on except to say that I fully expected to need my cynical hat on to find something enjoyable about not only the visit to the Zoo, but that it was the officially "Steve Irwin Day".

Anyway ....

I was actually pleasantly surprised. To get the 'negatives' out of the way ... it took me 40 minutes to get lunch and about the same amount of time to leave the carpark but I chose not to let these incidents spoil my day. Otherwise, the place was really well set up, the facilities were great, and although it was really commercial, was that unexpected (think Dreamworld))?

So these are my animal shots ....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you had the awesomest trip ever, I love your photos.

Unknown said...

I'm with Jazfaz, cool pics! Glad you got over your irwin-phobia and enjoyed the day! We have never been there, but it's on the list of places to go, maybe you just nudged it a little further up the list!!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased someone else thinks the same of Irwin that I do! I believe he should be remembered for Australian tourism and not conservation. I would still go to the zoo if had the opportunity :)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I came to Coffs from Glasshouse, it was a regular place for school excusions for Josef as a child, and we often went as a family, we could walk there, and the boys would often just go and jump the fence...

That was over 10yrs ago, as far as facillaties go, think coffs zoo...a little run down, very relaxing, with great staff...food was bring your own bbq, or a small shop...Its sad to think its all commercial...

I'm with you on the 'Irwin bulldozer' there are too many good Australian naturalist, who weren't/arent publicity junkies...

Glad you had a great day, did you like the mountains...Josef would go to school and I would climb Tibbigargon and pick him up on the way down....o0ne of my fave places to be alone...x

Unknown said...

Gee gosh ... I don't feel like such an isolated "un-Australian" now :-) Not that going against the trend was going to make me change my opinion of course :-)

BTW thanks for the post Jazfaz!