Saturday, July 12, 2008

Semi-Memories

I often amaze myself with a plethora of half-memories - formed when I wasn't paying attention, or didn't have the words. And now they tease me with relevance but as they aren't complete, drive me mad with their elusiveness.

At the moment, as I sit here at the computer the smell of pies from my primary school days. The pies came from the local bakery and were a popular lunch choice. To be honest I only ever ate one or two (and haven't eaten one in at least 25 years but I am not famous for going along with what is 'popular').

Anyway, back to the pies. The filling was mince meat with what I assume were the usual fillers for 1978 ish so you ended up with something that was kinda like a glutinous gravy with bits of mince and other bits floating with just enough body to make you think this might really be a *meat* pie.

It was the pastry that I can smell/taste most of all at the moment. It was obviously a commercial mix because it had a .... there are those missing memories again. Now this wasn't a food memory that I am anxious to repeat (unlike the elusive spaghetti sauce recipe). It wasn't bad but it had (maybe) a metallic flavor to it, and the pastry was always soggy.

So where do memories come from and do we choose which ones have more clarity than others? And why is smell and taste so often interlinked - I mean if I hear a sound I don't get a taste in my mouth. Or if I touch something I don't get a smell at the same time.

In any case, it is interesting taking a wander down memory lane as I sit and smell :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gees louise...1. Now I want a pie, especially with soggy pastry. 2. they are linked cause they both in ya mouth/nasal system 3.these thoughts come from your left or right brain, I can never remember, or is it cortex...lol...4.As we get older we have better long term memory than short... 5. your just hungry and need a good, no-nutrition aussie pie 6. could explain why I like home brand pies....

hope this breakdown helps in your wander...lol