Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chocolate - the Update


Yes I continue to boycott chocolate that isn't slave free (fair trade chocolate only in my world) with one latter day omission. I have also continued to be vocal on the subject when and if the opportunity arises - including raising the issue on Radio National's "Bush Telegraph".

Philip Adams picked up the topic recently when he interviewed Carol Off, the author of "Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet".
Carol indicated that she personally wasn't in favor of a boycott, preferring to address the problem through a more political (small 'p') manner. I have to agree that she has a very valid point but it leaves me powerless.

By continuing my boycott, I may not be solving the problem but I do feel as though I am doing my bit. So now I ask myself whether I am doing this to satisfy my own emotional needs or whether my actions are more altruistic. I certainly hope the latter is the dominant motive.

4 comments:

Indigo-Daisy said...

I like to buy chocolate, coffee, tea and other things that I know come from fair trade. I don't necessarily boycott anything, just try to help where I can by making conscientious choices. Luckily the market we shop at has a lot organic and fair trade products to choose from. I do feel like we make a difference when purchase fair trade and that the energy behind our choices will somehow be of benefit to our causes.

Anonymous said...

Gee chocolate, diamonds, computer chips, pork (have you read victorias latest post)

When do we stop exploiting others. How long have we bought cheap 'Made in China' products without a damn how it was produced...

I was in Woolies the other day, Extra large chocolate bars, $2... gigantic...you cant make it for that price...

MG, what is 'political methods'?

Vickie said...

Caring and living mindfully is the beginning. I am glad for each person who feels the passion to take a stand. We live in a world full of exploitation and a world full of beauty and love. Our challenge everyday is doing our part to tip the scales.

pita-woman said...

You go girl! I on the other hand occasionally have to have a bit of chocolate, just occasionally.
On the other hand, isn't it eventually going to come to the point that we'll be boycotting the air we breathe? Where does it end?