Sunday, July 13, 2008

Latest Book

I have just finished reading Jesse Kellerman's "Sunstroke".

The book is described as as a 'crime thriller' and follows the story of Gloria Mendez as she follows the somewhat elusive trail of her boss after his unexplained disappearance.

Jesse Kellerman is prominently promoted as the son of Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. Now I love Jonathan Kellerman as an author and Faye Kellerman is a good read. I don't think Jesse is even close to being in their league.

Now I got the book on the basis of the family connection and I have to admit that did raise my expectations. Would it have been better to not promote the family link and miss out on the associated readers? I guess that is for the marketing department to figure out.

In any case, I struggled with this one. For point of comparison, I can read a Jonathan Kellerman in one sitting - this one took three days of dragging my butt back to it.

The story did have twists but somehow they missed the mark for me. The characters, including the absent ones, either weren't developed enough or didn't quite fit their intended slot. And the ending is incredibly disappointing - it almost felt as if the author thought 'oh well, I have reached my quota of words, I can wrap this up now'.

So while I am not selling this very well, it is an okay book - and I would probably read another one of Jesse's if I had to choose between him and chick lit - but don't pick this one up if you are expecting anything in the calibre of his parents.

No comments: