Monday, December 10, 2007

The Spider Story

Some days I do the dumbest things ....

I was walking past my kaffir lime tree this afternoon when I noticed there was a hole about the size of a 5 cent piece in the soil. Thinking this was a bit strange I had a bit of a poke (with my finger) around to discover that there was quite a cavernous hole behind the tunnel that collapsed as I continued to 'play'. Then I noticed that a small stick had been moved to the outside of the tunnel so I picked it up, ignoring the spider web that dangled like a fishing line from the exposed end, and poked around a bit more.I did consider that the web did look a bit like a tripline.

At some point it occurred to me that maybe this was the home of a spider and I should consult A about possibilities.

A looked at me for a bit the offered the opinion that it was probably the home of a funnel web. Now we don't have them in WA and it never occurred to me ... well that was the thing really - I just wasn't really thinking anything - even basics like "don't poke you finger repeatedly into weird but big holes in the ground".
Sigh ... don't even get me started on the snake story ....

8 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ahhh a childs curiosity MG...don't ever lose it..however my dear, you are a bit far away for any of us to come and save you by sucking out the poison...lol

Anonymous said...

HAHAHHAAAA, I am ASTONISHED you did this, thought the whole 'no poking holes in the ground' was an Aussie rule! Snake? HAHAHHHAAA

Unknown said...

Oh no, the snake story makes this look like the most sensible thing I have ever done .... mind you I do recall, as a child wondering if the oil in the deep fryer was hot enough - so I put my finger in to check it out ... still is better than the snake story ...

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

My gran yelled at me for putting potatoe peelings in the deep fryer (still a fave) so I thought 'right i'll fix you!' and tipped in a glass of water when she wasnt looking...I dont know who got the bigger shock, as it exploded...

Anonymous said...

OH MY! You are going to HAVE to tell the snake story now! I must be too sensible ... :)

Unknown said...

i've always had a fear of snakes and spiders, my biggest fear is of falling over though. But I think I can feel a fear of deep fryers coming on...girls what were you both thinking???

Anonymous said...

haha ray you are a clasic even i havnt done that yer though you probs read my mums blog on my spider story blah i hate then! anyspider actually well ttylr xx ♥gabriella

Unknown said...

Sorry anony, I cannot share the snake story and retain my dignity :-)