Sunday, December 9, 2007

Footprints

I have been seriously considering the size of my carbon footprint lately.

I have been making what little changes I can (changing the lightbulbs, reducing the amount of packaging, being particular about my recycling, buying local foods where possible, reducing my chemical usage in the home, all that sort of stuff) and although they are little, they are important.

I commute to work so that is my biggest contributor of pollution and while there isn't an alternative (I live too far to cycle and public transport doesn't correlate with shift work) I am trying to not use the car any more than I absolutely have to.

One thing I am going to do is have some trees planted for me so I can completely offset my usage. If you don't know yours use the calculator to give you a rough idea. Interesting there is a plethora of choices as to where I can plant them - for practicality Brother G has a farm but then there is also very active Landcare groups in and around my home town and there there are a number of organisations that will plant for you - either in Australia or overseas.

And I have a new challenge for myself - even though I am planning to off-set my footprint, I still want to reduce my actual emissions to be as low as practicable.

Yes this is part 'save the world' but it will also save me money. How can that nor be win-win :-)

No comments: