Monday, December 24, 2007

A Great Story

I heard a great story on the weekend. I am not sure if it is true or not (and it probably doesn't matter) but it was on the ABC so I like to think it was true.

Many years ago a woman lived near Sydney and she missed the fields of wildflowers that matched her memories of England.

Being a bit of a gardener, she knew that the wildflowers of England wouldn't grow (as such) in Australia's harsher conditions so, after extensive research, she chose the Coreopsis from south-west USA.

She organised a seeds and filled her garden. She harvested that seed and then travelled along the Sydney train system casually flinging seed from the windows.

Which is why you see coreopsis growing 'wild' around the place.

Isn't that just the most delightful story - a sort of Johnny Appleseed of beauty if you will :-)

It was emphasized that if one was to do that today, one could face charges of environmental vandalism which carries a hefty fine and a jail sentence. And the coreopsis has been declared a noxious weed in a number of NSW councils.

Nonetheless, I just love the story :-)

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Well I would fill the cities with Jasmine and Gardenia if I had a choice...lol...but cute story none the less....

Anonymous said...

I loved the story too :)