Thursday, August 28, 2008

Rosemary Focaccia

My latest recipe from the BBC's Australian Good Food.

4 1/2 Cups 00 or plain flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons instant dried yeast
1/3 Cup olive oil
1 1/4 Cups warm water
1 Cup rosemary
Sea salt, to sprinkle

Mix flour, sugar, yeast and 2 teaspoons salt together in a large bowl and make a well in centre. Pour in 1/2 Cup olive oil with warm water and mix to form a dough. Turn dough onto a floured board and knead for 15 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in size.

Transfer dough to an oiled baking tray and press out with your fingers into a rough rectangle until 1 cm thick. Set aside for 1 hour until dough rises again.

Preheat oven to 240 C or 220 C fan. With your fingers makes little dents over dough. Sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt. Drizzle with remaining oil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove focaccia from tray and return to oven for another 5 minutes, until bse is crispy. Cut and serve.

My notes: I used bakers flour instead of 00 or plain flour. I added olives as well as rosemary and salt to the top (I needed to use them up). The result overall was satisfactory but not the best bread I have ever made.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"not the best bread I have ever made" ...like you could make something bad....grins! I wouldn't ever attempt to make this, I'd muck it up, but let me know next time you make it and I'll be there to taste test!

Unknown said...

it's not 'bad' it is just a bit scone-y as opposed to bread-y... maybe I am picky. Appreciate the vote of confidence though :-)