Monday, May 17, 2010

Rain Rain Rain

When I was growing up back in the dark ages of the 70's I heard of the legend that Inuit people had 37 different words for snow. Well to be fair, I heard the legend a few times over the years and the number changed but the first version was 37 so that is what I default to. I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was only a legend - I had carried it in awe for over 30 years.

What I have realized is that I am getting close to that for words or phrases to describe 'rain' - subconscious inspiration from the legend maybe lol.

I have been trying to collate a list and I keep thinking of new descriptors I use so please don't take this as complete but there is: a sprinkle, a shower, a misting, a drip, rain, light rain, horizontal rain, torrential, pouring down, drizzle, sun shower, deluge, storm, downpour, bucketing down, spitting. I will add the rest as a think about them :-)

Photo" "Flower on the Ground" by me :-)

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

Don't forget: raining cats & dogs

Mountaingirl said...

Very important one that is :-) .... and if you live in Darwin, "raining fish" :-)