Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Moment to Reflect

My step-mom just rang to say goodbye.

Not totally out of line - I mean after three break ups and reconciliation and this one being final - it is a form of closure. And to be honest I just took it as read.

I guess what I am trying to process is why, after 14 years, it can just end this way. Now I want to be clear that I am not protesting - it is a bit hopeless to protest any change in relationship status - I mean if someone has made up their mind you have no choice but to respect it. But shouldn't I be more upset? Shouldn't we find a way to negotiate an ongoing relationship without the previous status?

What, if anything, does it all mean?

Photo: "Goodbye summer" by ideea

1 comment:

admiyo said...

It means that now, instead of calling her your stp-mom, you can call her your friend, if you wish.

As the Dad in "Clueless" said: You divorce spouses, not kids. It is up to you how you want to treat it. And yes, my wife watches that movie so much I pretty well have it memorized.