Sunday, May 23, 2010

Miss Manners

I know I sound like I am 100, and some days I feel like it and even thinking about posting this proves it but it has been on my mind so I am not going to censor myself just because it might make me look foolish.

When I grew up we were taught manners - please and thank you, Mr and Mrs (or even Auntie and Uncle), kids stood for any adult on public transport that kind of thing. Now I am not talking about giving anyone power over you, or undeserved  respect, I am talking about basic manners.

To give an example, you walk past someone staring at the opposite shelf in the supermarket - well you would say "excuse me"; if someone asked you for something, they would use the word "please" and then offer a "thank you" upon receipt.

I am not perfect in doing this EVERY time but I certainly do make an effort. So what is it with the younger generation who seem to have forgotten so much of this. Okay I know that is a broad brush and I can think of a number of "my" kids who are exceptions, but (to pick on the Gen Y'ers) if you are under 25 then things are different to 'my days'.

I understand that music moves on, and language changes, fashions come and go and that sort of thing - but I do miss manners, a lot. Please and thank you makes so much of a difference ....

Photo: "Curtsy" by oceangiant

1 comment:

Divya said...

Good work Article is awosome i like Satta King by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo fast in India play bazaar