Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Vale Golden Circle

Yes it is almost true (in that it is going to happen but hasn't happened yet) Australia has lost another iconic brand - the legendary Golden Circle.

Apart from being one of those good Aussie traditions, Golden Circle is one of those brands that have given me a warm-fuzzy feeling. The company is a co-operative owned run by Australian pineapple growers. The pineapple product has always been Australian grown, made and produced and of a consistently high standard.

Now it will be run by one of those international companies that might import pineapples!!! Just imagine it - imported pineapples in a Golden Circle can - sacrilege!!

I was about to launch an immediate boycott but I have taken a deep breathe and will just keep an eye on things - and IF the new parent company (I dare not speak their name) continues to support our Australia producers and buy their products at a fair market price, they will keep my business. Otherwise, it will be a one woman boycott!

Note for international readers: Golden Circle has a wide range of products but the pineapple is where it all started :-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!, I was feint when I heard the news... no Golden Cirlcle! & 2 the Yanks in the same sentence. I turned off ABC, pulled over the car, and became quite dizzy...where will I get my only Australian canned mango (a must) Good God! What the hell is this country coming to Goddess, I just cant cope

Unknown said...

I hear you loud and clear there Abz - it is the beginning of the end, I just know it is!

Unknown said...

What is more relevant is that the three of us heard it (you, me and Steve) and we all had the same reaction ... There is something in that ....

Tinoneetiger said...

Mmmmm not good...

Unknown said...

hardly a one woman boycoot sweetie, you just say the word! oh btw i had the most delicious fresh pineapple for dessert tonight, from the growers markets every thursday in the mall in town, absolutely delish!

pita-woman said...

Gee, I learned something new today... didn't realize you grew pineapples in Aussie.
I know how you feel though, it always irks me when some item/brand I'm overly fond of is suddenly bought out or discontinued.

Whispering Walls said...

What about the A$?

Anonymous said...

Miss K, how can one boycott it...there is no alternative...bloody nora, be time-management experts here next...
How can america afford to buy 'Golden Circle'Mmmmm

Mind you the blueberry farms that support half my town arent owned by Australia... No pinapples, no vegemite...bloody hell

Pita 1/2 of Australia is in the tropics, hence the pineapples, mangoes etc

Most Australians have a 'buy Australia' policy...well they should...

pita-woman said...

Never gave it much thought to being tropical. Seems like most of what we see on tv is either mountains, desert or "the bush", or sea-side in what reminds me of our Boston Mass. area.

Unknown said...

I have a plan - I will start hoarding the existing supplies - lets face it canned products last forever while I am sure the integrity of the company under the new owners will not. Now if I clear out a shelf in the laundry, that will do me nicely .... and no I don't have a problem lol.