Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Sisterhood

Those who weep recover more quickly than those who smile.

Jean Giraudoux


When John passed I saw a grief counsellor when I got concerned about how much crying I was doing. He determined I was perfectly normal and assured me that it would pass, or at least diminish, as time went on.

I did a day shift last Friday and driving home I realized I was driving home to John. Was it because it was a Friday, or was it because it is spring and coming into summer ... no idea and it doesn't really matter. I got home and had a lovely little weep and then, feeling better, got on with things. And the counsellor was right - I think of John every day but don't cry anymore, and when I do it is weeping, not the "my heart is going to physically break" wrenching tears that crushed me initially.

Yesterday the lovely Val caught me on the one occasion I was out of bed (yes the back was giving me gyp again) to show me a new book she had just received. The lovely Kinsley had designed the cover before he passed in January. It was absolutely stunning. And there were the weepy tears in her eyes - she was having one of those moments too.

How special to be able to share my journey through grief to let her know that it really will pass, to hear her speak of sweet things about Kinsley, to stand there as two women hugging and speaking without words.

Photo: "Tears" by Marissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe... no words baby...special moment

diver said...

If your NaNoWriMo novel is anything like this post it'll be a prizewinner ... beautiful connective bit o writing there MG!