Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pleasant Dreams



I was happily asleep yesterday afternoon, listening to my pod as usual. I vaguely remember a documentary about one of the members of the Communist Party in Australia. I definitely remember hearing Paul Robeson singing. And he was singing about Joe Hill - my favorite song of his for so many reasons. If Paul Robeson is new to you, think of Ol' Man River, All Through the Night, Summertime or Swanee River.

For those unfamiliar with this genius, Mr Robeson was a concert singer, writer, athlete (football, baseball, basketball as well as track and field), actor, lawyer, civil rights activist ... well the list goes on. Robeson's outspoken opposition to the way African-Americans were being treated in the US as well as sympathies toward the USSR and communism lead to conflict with the US government for much of his life.

My favorite Paul Robeson story was when he was visiting Australia and passing the still-under-construction Sydney Opera House. According to the legend, he had his car pull up, he got out and, while still wearing his tuxedo, gave an impromptu performance for the workers on the site, including singing Joe Hill for the union "comrades".

This is an incredible man - and well worth a Google if you want more. And if you want to know about Joe Hill, then just click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bugger, he sounds facinating but I'll have to listen at work as the clip is playing up on me...ta MG

Unknown said...

You're welcome :-)