Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Need A Man

For the best part of my life I am a happy, independent woman.

Okay so I need help lifting heavy things (but that is because of my back)and it is nice to have a tall person around (but that is because I am short) to put my smoke alarms up ... hint, hint Loni ... but I do pretty well by myself on the whole.

But today I need a man. There is a mouse in the house. No I am not doing the standing on a chair screaming thing but I am sure it is written somewhere that setting mouse traps and disposing of the body is men's work.

I am not really into the demarcation of household chores (I live by myself remember) but I am sure that having babies is womens work, cooking the barbecue is mens work. Mending shirts is womens work, changing the tyres is mens work. Wrapping the Christmas presents is womens work, organizing the capture of vermin is mens work.

This is not to say that each is not capable of the other's tasks - they are handy skills for us all to have, but surely "we" are more capable of some things more than others. Or maybe I just don't want to pick up a dead mouse ....

5 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

A catr might be less trouble

Whispering Walls said...

Cat

pita-woman said...

Tee-hee, I suggested a cat to another friend earlier this week that also has mice. Of course, when we had mice in our garage a while back, I carried all 3 of my cats out to the garage, they took one sniff and all ran back in the house.
I have to say, my husband is a better present wrapper than me.

Vickie said...

Oh me! pita-woman made me laugh outloud with her cats.

I'm with you on the deposal, MG. It most definitely must be man's work! When I had a problem with mice a couple of years ago and heard one scooting around on the sticky trap, I freaked and called the landlord (lives upstairs). He thought I was afraid. Not so! I was horrified of what was happening to it! However, one of us had to go and I chose to stay.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Grrrrr... bugger the cats...get a fox terrier!

tis not the mice I object to but putting the bins out..to me that is where men come into their own...blow the flowers just offer to put out the bins